Sunday, November 16, 2008

The long awaited Philly post.. Day One

Preface: My camera broke right before our trip to Philadelphia in September. Rick used his SLR and took pictures in raw format. My computer couldn't read the files until I finally figured out how to convert them to jpg.

Rick graduated from high school in the Philadelphia area. He hasn't been back in a while and had a hankerin' for a Philly Cheese Steak. We decided it'd be fun to take a short trip to get the real thing. After finding inexpensive plane tickets and an awesome Grandma willing to watch the kids; off we went.


View from our hotel

After we checked in to the hotel we immediately headed out for the the best cheesesteak in town at Jim's. They treat you a lot like the "no soup for you" episode of Seinfeld. State your order and quickly slide over. Rick ordered it the only authentic Philly way: "steak with whiz". The sandwiches were sooooooo delicious! I am salivating thinking about one now!

The infamous Jim's Steaks & a funky pic of me on the 2nd floor.

The fixtures and furniture haven't changed since he left, so it was exactly how he remembered it. Rick said he and his buddies from High School would eat there after late nights of dancing at the nearby clubs.

Penn's Landing

After stuffing ourselves at Jim's, we spent the evening walking along South Street and Penn's Landing. (Making sure I spelled it correctly, I googled it and learned it's named after William Penn the founder of Philadelphia). We really enjoyed the atmosphere of South Street and were excited to see more in the coming days. (Don't worry this is the only day there were no pics of Rick. This rarely ever happens. Actually it is the only time I know of). :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun getaway! Now I'm hungry and having flashbacks of the sandwich shop I worked at in HS. Heehee!

Jen said...

LOL! That IS ironic that you're the one in the pics and not Rick! You look SO GOOD!!!

As for the Cheesesteaks. . . Now I gotta find my way to Philly! Cheesesteaks are MY FAVORITE and your description about these ones makes me wanna jump on a plane right now!

Can't wait to see more posts about the trip :)

Debbi said...

I would love to go back to Pennslyvania I havent been there in so long and I am salivating thinking of an authenic philly cheesesteak - did you try a real stromboli too - YUMMY!

Mansell Six said...

Look at you guys!! How fun!!

Allie said...

I think I need a getaway but for IN and OUT:D