Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cub Scout Day Camp & Pumpkin Guts

After the aquarium we rushed to the church for Spencer to attend his first stake scout activity. Later that night we joined him to help him carve a pumpkin. When we got there we found Spencer and a couple other boys staking claim to their favorite pumpkins. The leaders kept trying to shoo them away.

Knowing Spencer would be devastated if he didn't get the one he'd picked, Rick made a quick run to Target. This killed three birds with one stone: Spencer gets a large pumpkin, Sydney gets to carve one, and the best part.. we get out of doing it at home

Glad to see Dad and his new pumpkin!

Sydney can hardly lift hers.

Gutting a gourd is slimy work!

Trying to get entrails off her hand. :)

Spencer helping dad secure the pattern.


Yeck!


Sydney got hers started and then asked for Dad to take over.


The Works of Art

Sydney's Bat


Spencer's Pirate Ship

I love the look on his face..

He had just said, "Mom, I'm going to run around now."


Didn't take long to find others to join in the "running around."

Rick sharing one of his many talents.

He became really popular with the scouts when picked up a blade of grass and made it squeal.

Look at Spencer's cheeks. He is blowing so hard! You can hear it in the video.
The boys begged to learn how he did it.

Spencer giving me an impromptu hug.

While eating dinner we noticed how much dirt he was covered in. Ahhh! He's putting those fingers in his mouth!

A perfect day of fun for Spencer. :)

Spencer had a great day scouting doing arts and crafts, learning camping etiquette, playing games, and having a cookout. Sydney and Rick enjoyed carving pumpkins and the time they spent with Spencer and the scouts.

5 comments:

Sabeys said...

Okay, entrails is the perfect word. I remember Dia's first punkin, eating entrails at 9 months. I'm glad I'm not the only parent who lets kids be kids, while squelching the stomach-heaving disgust.

Brenda said...

Very cool pumpkins! What a fun time! Also, I wanted to tell you that I love your "Why real bloggers don't need music" post. I TOTALLY agree 100% Thanks for posting that!

Jen said...

That's so cool! I'm totally jealous. We're the LAMEST parents on the planet and haven't got a pumpkin yet to carve! We have all the patterns, etc too! We're the worst. Poor Kya woke up sick today though, so she may miss out on the Halloween festivities, which makes me sad. She's missing her pre-school Halloween Party right now :(

I love how Rick gets in there and plays with the kids!

Debbi said...

The pumpkins look great I especially like the pirate ship - almost as good as my puking pumpkin I will post a picture. OMG Spencer looks so much like Rick - we really enjoyed having him here for a few days - I hardly ever get time alone with him anymore.

Peg said...

Looks like a really fun day. Halloween is the perfect holiday to get fathers involved. Mom can just stand back and take the pics. Yea!!! Mom